Morehouse College's Psi Chapter Omegas Gift 83-Year Old Artifact To Alpha Rho Centennial Archives
ALPHA RHO'S CENTENNIAL ARCHIVES TO PROVIDE ACCESS TO CHAPTER'S LONG-HIDDEN TREASURES
By APCAA Staff
In continuation of a years-long partnership that shares access to historic documents that chart the early development of both Alpha Rho and Psi Chapters at Morehouse College, Co-Chairman of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.'s Psi Chapter History Committee John H. Monds (Psi Spring 1987) recently presented a rare
hand-crafted paper collage invitation from Alpha Rho Chapter (Morehouse College) and Alpha Phi Chapter (then Clark College) to Morehouse College Dean of Men Brailsford Reese Brazeal, for their December 20, 1940 Annual Christmas Dance. The location, The Top Hat, was then managed by Brother Franklin Lee Bailey (Fall 1934).
The original condition 1940 invitation was recently uncovered inside of the historic Brazeal House located just west of the Morehouse College campus at 193 Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard (formerly Ashby Street). It was once the longtime home of Morehouse College Dean and professor Dr. Brailsford Reese Brazeal and his family.
"The cooperative spirit that links two of Morehouse's most storied organizations is a true demonstration that Morehouse Men are Brothers, first, and foremost," explained APCAA President BMaynard Scarborough. "We are extremely grateful that our college brothers at Psi Chapter think highly enough of us to entrust valuable historic finds that are linked directly to our lineage. We both rep that GOLD for a good reason, and it shows!"
The Psi Chapter Alumni Association purchased the Brazeal House and its holdings in the 2000s. Dr. Brazeal is a Spring 1924 initiate of the Psi Chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. at Morehouse College.