Brother Gordon Lane Joyner (Fall 1969) Launches Campaign To Return To Georgia's Fulton County Co
Brother Gordon Joyner has his eyes set on a return to Georgia politics with his recent campaign announcement to fill the District 6 seat held by Commissioner Emma Darnell, who passed away in early May, 2019. Joyner began his political career on the Fulton County Commission, where he previously held the District 5 seat for more than a decade. Incidentally, Joyner replaced another Alpha Rho Brother, A. Reginald Eaves (Fall 1954) with his election to the commission in 1987.
From Joyner's Campaign Announcement:
On May 16, 2019, the Fulton County Board of Commissioners officially declared September 17, 2019 as the date for the District 6 Special Election. It is my honor to formally announce my candidacy for election to the District 6 seat! I enthusiastically -- and with great respect -- thank the many residents of the District 6 neighborhoods of southwest Atlanta, where I have lived since 1981, East Point, College Park, Hapeville, South Fulton, Union City, Fairburn, Palmetto, and Chattahoochee Hills who have urged me to run for this seat now! I am very happy and excited to accept your call and say YES!!!
My Campaign Platform Priorities for District 6 are the following:
• True openness, transparency, ethics, and accountability in government;
• No improper contracts or secret payments with taxpayer dollars;
• No closed-door meeting in my Commission Office. I will be happy and available to meet with anyone and everyone, but the door has to stay open;
• A new Senior Citizens Multi-Purpose Center and services in District 6;
Expanded library resources and services for our students, parents, teachers, and all residents;
• Stronger community health services with priority emphasis.
Enhanced substantive support and collaboration for public safety protection of our residents, homes, and neighborhoods;
• Pay equity for Fulton County employees from bottom to top, salary increases where appropriate, and greater respect and appreciation for their hardworking public service rendered to all of us;
• Establishment of the “Fulton County Civil Rights Department” to enforce equal employment, fair housing, and other anti-discrimination laws and to conduct compliance programs and conferences. Let us lift up and celebrate the fact that Fulton County is the home county of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his family!;
• Major support for the arts, cultural affairs, parks, and recreation
programs and facilities;
• Provision of sufficient budgetary support for the Fulton County Justice System, including accelerated attention to facilities needs and improvements;
• Continue to push the City of Atlanta and the Georgia Department of Transportation for much-needed real improvements to Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive.
That'll get us started, and we together also will have much more to do because FULTON COUNTY IS A BIG DEAL!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALLOWING ME TO SERVE YOU!!!
YOUR DISTRICT 6 CANDIDATE!!!